Monday, October 24, 2011

The Outback Coast WA

I really stretched the limits with my stay at Robe River, I didn't leave until October 11th, but there were not all that many each night, so I wasn't preventing anybody else from staying.

Tuesday, 11th October 2011 - Day 1,033

I was heading south from Robe River and came to the turn-off to Onslow and decided to take the side-trip and check it out. I have been past numerous times but never managed to drop in. I'm glad I did, it is a very pleasant little town although that may change with the plans to build a major gas hub here, the pipes are already being laid so it won't be long now.


Onslow was rebuilt in a different location after a major cyclone blew the original town away back in 1925 and the Old Town is about 40 kms away, right at the mouth of the Ashburton River. There is a camping area at "Five Mile Pool", 8 kms (obviously) from Old Onslow and I checked it out when I went out to look at the ruins of the old town. It is a series of spots running for about 2 kms along the east bank of the river and is a fantastic spot although there are no facilities except rubbish bins. The local map says that you need a permit from the shire office in Onslow itself if you want to stay more than 3 days, so I popped in and got a permit (no charge) for a week. A really great spot as you can see.

There were some locals who dropped in for a feed each evening, but they didn't each much, cleaned up after themselves and left fairly early.


There is very little of the old town left except for the ruins of the old police station and jail and for the pioneer cemetary. Evidently most of the original buildings were either relocated to sheep staions as homestead buildings, or relocated to the new town (where they were all blown away in a major cyclone in the 1960's





Monday, 17th October 2011 - Day 1,039

I packed up and drove into Onslow and booked in to the caravan park for a couple of nights, mainly to get some washing done, I had completely run out of clean shorts and t-shirts. The ever-present red dust that I have been experiencing ever since leaving the Kimberley makes it very hard to get more than a single day out of a shirt or shorts. The caravan park is called Ocean View and that's true as far as it goes. The park fronts on a strip of ratty-looking sand about 3 metres wide which overlooks the mud flats. Not the most attractive spot I've ever seen.

You should all know by now that I am not one who usually complains, but can anyone tell me why every caravan park you go to, the shower heads are only about 5-foot from the floor? The average aussie male is at least 5' 10" or so and yet all the shower stalls seem to be built for midgets.


 Monday, 24th October 2011 - Day 1,046

I stopped at the rest area at Lyndon River for a couple of days after leaving Onslow and then headed for Carnarvon. I was only going to stay for one night, but they had a special deal at the Wintersun Caravan Park. 3 nights for the price of 2, plus my Top Tourist discount plus they gave me a "single" rate because I'm on my own. $48 for three nights is cheap as chips after paying some of the inflated prices further north. Wintersun Carnarvon gets my seal of approval!

Well, I'm all fuelled up, the fridge, pantry and wine cellar are all re-stocked so I'm heading bush again. East to Gascoyne Junction and then south through Murchison (the only shire in Oz which doesn't have at town) to Mullewa. Probably be another month before I get back to civilization, so . .

See you soon

1 comment:

Red Nomad OZ said...

So love your tales of this area - Pilchard & I haven't toured WA yet, and are looking forward to it!

Just think of the shower head thing as an opportunity to learn how to limbo! That's what I have to do every time I wash my hair!!