Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 79 - 01 Mar 09

As Willie says, On The Road Again. Melbourne has been very disappointing as far as weather goes, but then, what's new. I decided not to go down to Tasmania this trip and I was originally going to head along the Great Ocean Road, but I was dying for a bit of sunshine again. It is supposed to be Summer. So I have headed up through central Victoria to the Murray (sun came out as soon as I got to Heathcote and up went the temperature to 28C)

I stopped for a while at Echuca/Moama and had a wander down to the banks of the Murray River. Crikey! I reckon I could have chucked a rock across it. Everything has been as green as grass (heh heh) until now. All down through Queensland, the NSW coast and Gippsland you wouldn't believe there was a drought, but up through central Victoria, it looks like they haven't had any rain for 20 years and I've never seen the Murray looking so sad.
Headed out of Echuca along the Murray Valley Highway, paralleling the river and I've stoped tonight at a roadside rest area just north of Kerang on the shores of Racecourse Lake. Not many facilities, but nice shade under the Peppercorns and it's only for overnight. It's 6:30 pm as I write this and the birds are all coming into the lake for a drink and the sound is indescribable.
About 5 years ago, I did a quick trip through the Flinders Ranges and fell in love with Parachilna Gorge, so I'm going to head for that now and this time, take my time and do plenty of bushwalking.

1 comment:

Dave and the dragon said...

good on ya Mike, you'll love my backyard, plenty to see and do and plenty of sunshine for you!!