Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 70 - 20 Feb 09

The Big Smoke! Arrived in Melbourne this afternoon and have booked into the Sundowner Caravan Park at Springvale in Melbourne's Outer Eastern suburbs. When I booked in, they gave me a chipcard for the front gate and a key for the amenities rooms, but they should have given me a shoehorn as well. Crikey these sites are tight. I'm back-to-back with another 18-footer and both our tow-hitches are just about in the gutters. Lord knows how they would get a decent size van in here. Still the rates aren't too bad, $24 a night for a powered site less my Top Parks discount.

Spent the whole of yesterday in that noisy Highway rest stop, 'cos I couldn't be bothered moving. Had a lazy day reading and listening to the radio. Packed up this morning and had a quick look at Bairnsdale and Sale. There decent size'd towns, but a town is a town is a town. The countryside has completely changed from a couple of days ago. Not a State Forest or National Park in site. All gentrly rolling farming and grazing country today.

I was going to head south from Sale and do the Wilson's Promontory thing, but the road into Tidal River is still shut because of the bushfires, so that will have to wait for another time, perhaps when I come back from Tasmania.

No photos today, didn't see anything that caught my eye. I'll probably be here in Melbourne for a week or 10 days before heading across to Tassie, so no posts until I get there.

No comments: