Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 228 – 28 Jul 09

Stayed at Limestone Creek for three nights and then headed west. Had a bit of a break at Victoria River where they're building a new bridge. It boggles the mind to think that the river can rise from its low level to the height of the bridge overnight. I remember coming through here in 1969 when there was no bridge at all, just a ford across the river and if you got caught by the river rising, you could be stuck for several weeks.
Had another small break at Timber Creek. Just past the town is a road leading to a lookout. It is well worth the visit. There is a great view from the top of the ridge. Note: there is a 4WD track leading onwards from the lookout, but I found out the hard way that it doesn't go anywhere, so give it a miss.

Stopped at a roadside rest area called Saddle Rock (for obvious reasons). A very picturesque campsite, but again, crowded as hell by about 4:30 or so. I know some of these travellers can get a bit up themselves, but this guy wanders over at 5:30 or so, with his glass of chardonnay in his hand and asked how long I was going to run the generator. It’s half-past five, mind you. I told him that I intended to run it until about 7:30 and you would have thought I said midnight! Gee, he said, can’t you shut it down now? We’d like to watch the sun go down in peace. I felt like telling him to go and take a running jump, but managed to restrain myself.