Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 239 – 08 Aug 09

Five nights at Pentecost River and to tell the truth, I could have stayed there until my supplies ran out, but I need to push on.


Drove through to Durack River on the recommendation of a chap at Penetecost. Crossing the Pentecost River was no problem. The water was only about 500mm deep but the bottom was rocky so I had to take it really slowly to avoid bumping things around in the van too much. I learnt from a previous creek crossing where, when I opened the van afterwards, it looked like it had rolled over!


The road between Pentecost and Durack was reasonably good. A lot less washaways, so I was able to sit on 80kmh and even out the corrugations. Arrived at Durack and, as advised, camped on the East bank overlooking the river. The crossing itself was just a mudhole, but downstream the river was full and wide. We’re still fairly close to the coast at the crossing, so, even though there were no signs warning of crocodiles, I didn’t bother with swimming – I’ll leave that until later on.

Firewood was very scarce close to the camp areas, but I went for a walk along the river for a couple of kms and found plenty further away. Only trouble is, it takes me three hours to collect enough firewood to burn for two hours. Hardly seems fair somehow.

No comments: